Burning calories is one of the most common advice that you will hear when it comes to losing weight. A calorie is a unit of measurement that indicates the amount of energy that is released when the body breaks down food. With the breakdown of foods and digestion, calories are released. When the intake of food is more than what is required, the extra calories get stored as fat. When your body is using up the calories released by the food you maintain the right weight. When it fails to do so, you gain weight.
All food sources have a certain amount of calories that works as the source of energy in your body. Each food source can be broken down into calories. While the common belief is that Indian foods are spicy, oily and high in calorie, this is not entirely true. Here is a list of Indian food items with their calorie counts.
How Many Calories Does An Average Indian Meal Have?
1. Rice: A plateful of cooked rice has about 272 calories.
2. Chapati/Roti: One 60-gram chapati has roughly 180 calories.
3. Phulka: You get about 70 calories from a small to regular-sized phulka.
4. Parantha: 1 plain parantha made with 30 grams of atta has about 121 calories.
5. Dal: You get about 104 calories from 30 grams of cooked moong dal. However, the calories in dal may slightly vary.
6. Fish: You get about 200 calories from 85 grams of fish.
7. Curd: You get about 100 calories from 100 grams of curd.
8. Palak paneer: This is one of the most healthy dairy products and is rich in iron. One bowl of palak paneer contains upto 190 calories.
9. Tandoori roti: This roti is prepared from whole wheat. A single tandoori roti contains about 100 calories.
10. Chicken tikka masala: This chicken dish gives you about 350 calories in one serving.
11. Tandoori chicken: A single piece of tandoori chicken may contain up to 275 calories.
12. Buttermilk: Buttermilk is a good source of calcium, potassium, phosphorus and vitamin B12. One glass of buttermilk contains about 32 calories.
13. Dry Veg Sabzi: A bowl of dry vegetables consisting of cauliflower, potatoes or lady’s finger contains roughly 150 calories.
14. Dhokla: This fermented ground flour Gujarati dish contains about 25 calories per piece.
It is always wise to be aware of the number of calories and contents in your food. The count of calories mentioned above is a rough estimation. The actual amount of calories may vary depending on the preparation of dishes and the portion consumed. Add more healthy foods to this diet like vegetables and healthy grains and you will get the sufficient amount of calories you need for a healthy lifestyle.
This was the list of Indian meals with their calorie count. If you think there are some other meals that should have been on this list, make sure to let us know about it in the comment section below.